In a week dominated by the Republican National Convention, most silly quotes were related to the presidential campaign. Indeed, this entire page could have consisted of Clint Eastwood’s bizarre one-man sketch at the convention. (Best headline belonged to Wonkette: Fox News Suddenly Loves Hollywood Elitists After Clint Eastwood Yelled at a Chair.) Still, there was a bit of silliness for everyone.
- “If you’re jealous of those with more money, don’t just sit there and complain. Do something to make more money yourself — spend less time drinking or smoking and socializing, and more time working. Become one of those people who work hard, invest and build, and at the same time create employment and opportunities for others.” (Gina Rinehart, world’s richest woman)
- “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.” (Conservative Senator Lindsey Graham, R-SC)
- “Quislings, French surrender monkeys . . . The state is going to hell. Col. Weh would not have dishonored Col. Custer in this manner.” (Pat Rogers, RNC National Committeeman, in an email rant objecting to New Mexico’s Republican governor’s meeting with Native Americans)
- “We are not sure of Skittles’ thought process behind their new ad, but if they are attempting to offend customers, they have succeeded… not only is it disgusting, it is taking lightly the act of bestiality.” (One Millions Moms campaign against a new Skittles’ ad featuring an amorous walrus)
- “No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised.” (Mitt Romney, cyborg presidential candidate)